Saturday, July 28, 2007

SASS Fan Viewpoint and League Conspiracy

Last night's game wasn't televised, so my only impression came by webcast.

There has been much talk among fans, however, that Houston played a dirty game and the referees turned their heads. And a photo was provided as proof.

Some fans have gone as far as to say that the League condoned the behavior, because they didn't want to see Houston fail as a franchise.

Here's my reaction:

  1. I don't condone, nor do I want to watch a team that plays dirty. Playing hard and physical is one thing, but I don't respect dirty, in the least.
  2. I don't want the Comets to emulate the play of the Sparks, of old.
  3. This sort of accusation would have never been directed at Van Chancellor's Comets. He never would have allowed that style of play, regardless of standings. His hard fast rules might just be why he was decried by fans. The lesson here? Be careful what you ask for.
  4. It wouldn't be the first time a game was settled by referee's calls. I don't condone it, whether it is bad officiating or officiating with an agenda... but the agenda, I understand. Hear me out.
  5. I'm a great believer in the League conspiracy. By season 3, the Comets had a 'hit' on their heads with the referees. My theory then was that in order for the League to survive, other markets had to be successful. Though we're in Season 11 now, the success of the League is still tenuous. Perhaps we have come full circle. Perhaps other franchises are now feeling the weighted hand of officiating. It's not fair. In true sport, it's not fair at all. In addition to sport, however, the WNBA is a business, and it's entertainment. I thought then, what I hope you all will think now. If this is what it takes to ensure the League's success and longevity, so be it. What the WNBA provides, in terms of opportunity, hope, inspiration and spirit to young girls and women... is priceless.
  6. Not to discount the allegations, but I don't hear the Silver Stars (or their media) whining. According to the San Antonio Express-News: You've got to make baskets to score points, after all, and that wasn't in the Silver Stars' toolbox on Friday. 21 0f 70 from the field, and shooting just 30% (their lowest percentage of the season) doesn't win ball games.

No comments: