Sunday, July 15, 2007

Tina Selected to Replace Bird

Reserve power forward Tina Thompson selected by Western Conference Coach Jenny Boucek, of the Monarchs, to replace the injured Sue Bird.

“I believe in giving honor where honor is due and she definitely deserves that, so that’s why she’ll be starting,” Boucek said. “She has been not only a very consistent performer on the court, but she’s been on the top of the league as far as her impact on the players around her. She’s not very bold or outspoken about it, but within the league in inner circles you’ll hear many players speak to the impact that she has had on their lives.”

Boucek said she was impressed by Thompson’s play for the Comets this season, despite the team struggling out of the gate to a 0-10 start.

“I don’t think you have to look any further than this season to know her character as a woman,” Boucek said. “She could have easily bowed out on this season, easily rested or not play hard. She has competed for 40 minutes every game of this season when they were not doing too hot and that impacts people for life. To see her modeling what a professional is and that character, it impacts not only the people on her team, it impacts all of us in the league to see her professionalism and her character.”

Thompson, who has not played in the All-Star Game since 2002 due to injuries, was honored to take to the spot in the starting lineup and appreciated Boucek’s comments.

“I think it’s great. I don’t truly believe there’s a big difference between a starter and a reserve, but the fact that I get an opportunity to start the game says a lot,” Thompson said. “Coach Boucek talked to me about why she chose to put me in that position. I think the reasoning why she decided to do that is probably a lot more important than actually starting in the game itself.

“She talked about what I brought to the game and how she appreciated how I’ve been kind of in the fire this year. Right now we’re five and whatever (***hello, Tina... we're SIX and whatever!), I don’t even know, or I don’t want to know probably. And just that I’ve maintained the same personality that I had when we were winning. She said that’s very hard and it shows a lot about my character and who I am as a person and a player. Those are very kind words, especially coming from someone that I’m competing with on a regular basis and it was sincere.”

Thompson’s All-Star teammates completely agreed with having the WNBA legend get the starting nod.

“There couldn’t have been a better replacement. Not one person could have filled the shoes that Tina fills,” said Phoenix’s
Diana Taurasi. “Tina, I don’t want to say she’s our mentor, but she has done a lot for me in the last two or three years playing with her in USA Basketball and over in Russia. I’ve just learned so much from her that it will be nice to be on the court as an All-Star starter with her.”

Thompson is the only player in the All-Star Game who was on a WNBA roster in the league's inaugural season in 1997.

Awesome photo by Garrett Ellwood/NBAE/Getty Images.

No comments: